Sunday, August 2, 2009

All Time Low - "Nothing Personal"

All Time Low's new sound really is 'Nothing Personal.' Their style has changed, but not drastically, since 'So Wrong, It's Right.' No longer do they have that poppy happy feel, their sound has become more mature and the album contains deeper feelings and emotions. It's as if their hidden talent had been kept away but was finally unleashed and let out. 'Nothing Personal' conveys more of the band's developing style, and isn't always as upbeat and happy as 'Poppin' Champagne' and 'Dear Maria, Count Me In' were from the previous album. I'm not saying the album is more cutting edge and depressing. It still has that pop-rock feel throughout. It was definetly a change for the better, because I personally would get sick of their same sound, just as anyone else would. It's as if they started out with that pop-rock Boys Like Girls style, and developed into a more punk-hard rock Madina Lake sound.

Their hit singles 'Weightless' and 'Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Don't)' have that familiar feel as the last album. Weightless seems like a song that wasn't good enough for So Wrong, It's Right and so it ended up as the single for this album. 'Damned If I Do Ya' however, at first listen I could tell All Time Low was different. The catchy drum beats with Alex Gaskarth's almost perfect voice makes the song addicting throughout.

I absolutely loved 'Break Your Little Heart.' As you can tell by the title, the song isn't very lovey-dovey. Gaskarth sings about heartbreak, instead this time, he's the one breaking them. He mocks how the girl is a drama queen and how he won't fall for any of her remorse. I found the lyrics to be rather humorous, because it made the term "heartbroken" more light and funny. At first, when he sang, "I'm gonna break your little heart/Watch you take the fall/Laughing all the way to the hospital/Cuz there's nothing surgery can do when I break your little heart in two," I thought the song was pretty cruel. Despite the fact that Gaskarth seemed heartless at first, this song was amazing and caught my attention with its' stunning guitar riffs and melodious beat. It simply made me think the message he was sending was 'nothing personal.'

'Lost in Stereo' revealed more of that Madina Lake style. This was another of my favorites. With the chorus repeating the faint echo of the words 'lost in stereo' along with Gaskarth's distinctive voice makes this song infectious. 'Keep the Change, You Filthy Animal' opens up with a familiar beat from their first album 'Put Up Or Shut Up' which was more punk than pop. This was another track that I've come to love.

A track I didn't like so much was 'Too Much.' This song was more mellow and calm than the rest, but it had 'too much' synthesis and seemed over-produced. It didn't seem like All Time Low, and I think I would've preferred it to be plain acoustic than have all of this unneeded synth. Lastly, 'Therapy' is another slow and soothing track, except it was executed way better than 'Too Much.' At first, I didn't like the song, but it really grew on me and now it is my absolute favorite off the album. I simply love the acoustic feel and it reminds me of their acoustic track 'Remembering Sunday' from 'So Wrong, It's Right.' This song really touches my heart, I love Gaskarth's voice in the chorus when he says 'give me therapy/I'm a walking travesty/but I'm smiling at everything.' It gives me chills. The beat reminds me a little of Green Day, but surely isn't a replica of any of their songs.

Overall, their album made a dramatic change, but a change for the better. I enjoyed the CD and it is my favorite from All Time Low. Like almost every band, their sound matured. We can't all be the same forever. But hey, it's 'nothing personal.'


No comments:

Post a Comment